Dimsums and momos. These two words were often a cause of my childhood dilemma because I could not distinguish one from the other. Later I learnt that these were disparate names for dumplings originating in two different Asian countries.
Momos as we all know it, a favorite among Indians and one of the most popular Tibetan cuisine in India, played a colossal part in popularizing South Asian cuisine in India.
Kolkata has a gargantuan appetite for Chinese, Tibetan and Asian food. To meet this mammoth sized gluttony many restaurants have cropped up throughout the city in the course of time. Momo I Am has come a long way from being a petite outlet serving momos, dimsums, hot soups, noodles to being one of the best Asian themed restaurants in the city. They recently opened their 4th outlet in Salt lake near City Center 1 with a huge seating arrangement.
The rugged brick wall, life sized graffiti, a see through kitchen and chilled out ambiance just adds to the arresting menu which includes soups, salads, noodles, baos, momos, dimsums, crispers and more.
A few highlights of the stellar menu include:
- Crispy Lotus Stem: Crispiness and flavors at its best. What better way to have our favorite Kamal Kakdi!
- Chicken Hangover Momo: Beautifully presented dumplings on a bed of mashed potatoes and tossed in a toothsome sauce. Absolutely amazeballs!
- Chicken Xo Dimsum: This is a personal favorite. Simple, tasteful and a treat to sore eyes. Served on a bamboo steamer, this dumpling is beautifully folded with genuine proportion of filling.
- Prawn Hargo: This particular dumpling defies all levels of foodgasm. A paragon in dumpling art! The filling is to die for!
- Sanghai Chili Wanton: The flavors of china is beautifully highlighted in this hot Chili oil infused dish.
- Chicken bao: This Soft and skilfully steamed bun comes with crispy chicken, mayo, lettuce and cucumber filling. The bao is softer than usual and tasted sinful. For all pork lovers this bao also comes with a filling of pork alongside chicken.
- Asian grilled mushrooms: Mushroom and cheese. Nothing can beat this duo. This melt in mouth dish is sinfully scrumptious.
- Drums of hell: Sweet and spicy, this is usually the most celebrated combination. But for these drumsticks the sweet quotient is a little too high. But hey, there is always a room for improvement.
- Momo I Am mixed Chopsuey: Loaded with veggies and meat, the chopsuey makes for a great main.
- Bangkok Street Noodle Soup: Right from the streets of Bangkok a tale of flat noodles, coconut milk and chicken. Steaming hot and a temporary getaway from earthly chaos. This is a Big Yes for me.
Momo I Am also serves beautifully crafted desserts such as Cheesecake with vanilla ice cream and gorgeous Raspberry bao filled with banana with a side of ice cream. Your perfect palate changer after a scrumptious meal.
Momo I Am has got plenty of beautiful dishes with pork as the choice of meat. Since I do not eat pork could not really say much about them but from what I hear from my fellow foodie friends, they are equally amazing. Sharing a picture of the house special Indonesian Pork Salad.
Enticing, exciting and beyond amazing that is how I would describe Momo I Am.
Cost for 2: 600/-
If you love what you read do check facebook and zomato.